Aldrin Elementary School
617 Boxwood Drive
Schaumburg, IL 60193
Principal: Katie Kurtz
Assistant Principal: Lisa Grant
Phone: (847) 357-5400
Fax: (847) 357-5401
Buzz Aldrin Elementary School serves over 500 students from kindergarten through sixth grade. Our staff works as a cohesive team with sub-teams referred to as Professional Learning Communities (PLC). The collaborative nature of these teams allows us to plan and implement instruction which meets the needs of every child within the grade level. Our PLC teams are well equipped to challenge students who are ready to move forward as well as provide additional support for students who need further assistance. This model is known as the acceleration block and it occurs in both reading and math on a daily basis.
Aldrin School offers a variety of educational opportunities and support programs for students. Our district’s core curriculum has been designed to meet the Illinois Learning Standards with a heavy emphasis on higher level thinking skills. Our full continuum of special services allows special needs students, including EL students and gifted students, to be serviced within the walls of Aldrin School. Our building is also home to one of the district’s special education instructional classroom programs which services students with autism. We are truly committed to providing the very best education for all of our students and are extremely proud of our students and staff.
• Educating the whole child is a top priority. Every students participates in Social/Emotional Learning lessons on a weekly basis.
We offer a balanced literacy program and encourage student growth in the areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
• Our math program builds on fundamental mathematical concepts to help students solve problems and become mathematically literate. We also offer an accelerated math program for qualifying students in 3rd through 6th grades.
• Our staff has been trained and utilizes both SIOP techniques and Quantum Learning techniques. This training has allowed us to keep our students highly engaged during instruction while ensuring instructional practices meet the needs of every child.
• We make it a priority to ensure students master the Illinois Learning Standards. Common assessments are given and the data is analyzed to determine the needs of our students. PLC teams use this data to structure daily blocks of time to accelerate learning in both literacy and math for all children. This time ensures our students will receive targeted instruction to meet individual learning needs.
• We utilize a wide range of technology resources where each child is provided their own device. The tools employed allow us to enhance the curriculum being taught to increase student engagement.
In addition to the excellent educational environment, the following clubs and activities are also available at Aldrin: GEMS Club, CODING Club, Rocketry Club, Happiness Heroes’ Club, PBIS Captains Club, Guitar Club, Art Club, Homework Club, Battle of the Books Club, Multicultural Club, Office Helpers and Patrols.
Childcare is available before and after school at Aldrin through a partnership with the Schaumburg Park District’s KASPER program. For more information about this program, please contact the Schaumburg Park District at (847) 252-2888.
Aldrin School staff and community members take pride in working together to meet the needs of all children. We truly embrace that we are Better Together!
The school was named after Apollo 11 astronaut Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin.
Mascot: American Eagle
Colors: Green and Gold